Time to ring in the New Year. We have compiled 13 resolutions to help you start the year on a beautiful note.
If you’re like 57% of the population, when it comes to resolutions, you’ll do your best to stick to them. But what if we tell you by the middle of the year, based upon the statistics, you will fail.
“You want me to do something, tell me I can’t do it,’ maintains Maya Angelou.
Making changes to enhance your health and beauty can be life-changing, improving your longevity, quality of life, self-esteem and overall outlook. Keeping all of them is a tall order for any human, but selecting a few that are meaningful to you, modifying them to fit your lifestyle and following through on incorporating them into your lifestyle, will help you achieve success.
1. DON’T MAKE IT ALL OR NOTHING: When agreeing to make changes in your life, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Start by setting sub-goals and gradually work up to your ultimate goal. Incremental success will help motivate you and make long-term success easier to achieve.
2. GET MORE Zzz: Take control of your health. Start by getting enough sleep each night, between seven to eight hours. You can’t catch up on lost sleep. And, according to the Harvard Women’s Health Watch, chronic sleep loss may cause weight gain, higher blood pressure, and decrease the immune system’s power, which may make you more prone to illness, increased stress, mood disorders, and memory loss.
3. MAKEUP REMOVAL: Before bedtime , remember to completely remove your makeup. Sleeping with makeup can result in irritated skin, clogged pores and breakouts. Cleansing will help control oil, shine and remove toxins, impurities and makeup that can cause blemishes. Our Balancing Cleanser is a great choice to take it all off.
4. MOISTURIZE: Remember to make changes in your skin care regimen during winter months. According to Dr. Burgess, lower atmospheric humidity levels in winter causes skin to lose vital moisture and become dry, dull and ashy looking. Daily moisturizer is key to keep your skin hydrated. Nighttime is the perfect time to deeply hydrate and nourish skin to combat dryness. Check out our Rejuvenating Night Crème to pamper and restore lost moisture as you sleep.
5. EXERCISE: Make regular exercise a part of your routine. It can help promote healthy looking skin, while releasing stress and assist with maintaining a healthy weight. And, WSJ cited Harvard Medical School’s website as maintaining that studies “suggest that women who exercise regularly can expect a 20% to 30% reduction in the chance of getting breast cancer compared with women who didn’t exercise,” citing exercise’s ability to lower estrogen levels. Want to track your calories to lose weight faster? Check out the app Lose It!. It one the Surgeon General’s Healthy App’s Challenge.
6 . HEALTHY SKIN: Develop a plan to address acne concerns. Acne can undermine your self-esteem so finding a daily treatment plan that works and is easy to use will help you achieve clear skin and improve your outlook. Our Maximum Strength Acne System is a great way to get started. http://www.blackopalbeauty.com/skincare/blemish-care/maximum-strength-acne-system. If your acne is very severe, consider consulting a dermatologist.
7. EXFOLIATE: Don’t underestimate the importance of regular exfoliation. It can help you remove dull surface cells to revitalize ashy, lackluster skin, renewing your skin’s natural radiance.
8. DON’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT SPF: It’s especially important when applying fade products with hydroquinone. Apply it with a sunscreen to protect skin from darkening during the lightening process. And, applying SPFs at all times will protect your skin from daily environmental assault and the sun’s UVA/UVB rays. www.blackopalbeauty.com/skincare/moisture-care/face-care/resurfacing-moisturizing-daily-spf15-lotion
9 . FIND YOUR MATCH: Matching your skin tone is the key to a naturally flawless face, so don’t select a foundation that is not formulated for women of color. Our skin perfecting foundations are specially formulated to cover, correct and enhance the complexion of women of color and NEVER look dull, ashy or obvious. Rather, they apply like a second skin. It’s best to test before you select. Apply the foundation on your jawline, blending it completely. Before you decide if it is a perfect match, let the liquid dry down. Don’t forget. Your skin tone may show seasonal variations, so you may want to go lighter in winter and select a darker shade for summer months.
Remember, you can request samples at www.blackopalbeauty.com with any purchase, making shade selection easy.
For more details, go to
10. REV UP YOUR RADIANCE: Apply a natural looking bronzer to your skin to energize your look. http://www.blackopalbeauty.com/makeup/face/powders/color-fusion-mosaic
11. WAKE UP YOUR MAKEUP ROUTINE: Update your look. Try out a new trend. Master a technique (creating smoky eyes, a classic red lip). Don’t be afraid to experiment. Find a signature style that suits you. Enhance your beauty IQ. Watch beauty tutorials to master new techniques. http://www.blackopalbeauty.com/tips-and-trends/how-to-videos
12. ADJUST YOUR MAKEUP TO THE OCCASION: Make sure at work your makeup is office appropriate, polished, professional, subtle and not over the top, selecting shades and application that look natural on you. Rev it up for red carpet parties with head-turning style, bolder, brighter shades and more dramatic application. For camera-ready occasions, make the right concealer, powder, and foundation fundamental to your makeup regimen.
13. REMEMBER, YOU ARE AS BEAUTIFUL AS YOU FEEL: It’s that inner sparkle that will help you stand out so be sure to radiate it and draw everyone you encounter to you with your beautiful attitude. So, sparkle pretty.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL 2013…….