In 1994, three creative forces combined their passion for beauty and their joint knowledge of issues specific to skin of color to develop the groundbreaking brand known as Black Opal.
The Muse, a professional woman of Jamaican descent, who embodied the Black Opal consumer, provided the inspiration, the Chemist,
possessed unparalleled expertise as a product formulator and the Doctor, a Board-Certified Dermatologist, offered exceptional knowledge and expertise. Together, they developed a comprehensive and affordable collection of targeted skincare products that would combine state-of-the-art technological advances with proven ingredients to service the unique skincare needs of skin of color for men and women.
Recognizing the importance of building from that strong heritage, Black Opal later introduced a line of makeup specially designed to address the beauty concerns of women of color. With an impressive range of formulas and a stunning collection of shades our makeup complements and enhances a woman’s natural beauty.
Today, giving you the tools you need to achieve healthy, radiant skin is at the core of our business. Black Opal is your beauty authority and we want to help you discover the beauty within.
BLACK OPAL TIMELINE AT-A-GLANCE
- 1994: Black Opal launches the first technologically advanced, doctor-recommended, mass market skincare line for women of color with the introduction of Advanced Dual Complex Fade Gel
- 1994: Black Opal debuts in Europe by launching in the Netherlands
- 1996: Black Opal targets acne with the launch of its Blemish Line anchored by Blemish Control Gel.
- 1997: Black Opal Color Cosmetics launches at chain drugstores and mass merchandisers throughout the US.
- 1998: Black Opal launches its Men’s Line addressing issues related to razor bumps, with Minnesota Viking Quarterback Warren Moon as the spokesperson.
- 1997: Kenya becomes the first country in Africa to welcome Black Opal
- 1998: NY Liberty center, Kym Hampton,
is named spokesperson for Black Opal skincare
- 2006: Black Opal introduces its Moisture Care System with products that treat both face and body.
- 2007: ESSENCE Readers select Oil-Absorbing Pressed Powder for a "Reader's Choice Award".
- 2009: Black Opal introduces a breakthrough Hydroquinone-free Fade System for international markets.
Invisible Oil Blocking Pressed Powder wins Allure Magazine "Best in Beauty Award"
- 2009: Black Opal signs on as the Official Cosmetics Sponsor of Miss Black USA Scholarship Pageant
- 2010: Black Opal invigorates its fade category with the introduction of the Maximum Strength Plus line with Bio-Intensive Skin Complex and the Sensitive Skin line with Bio-Affinity Skin Complex™
- 2010: Black Opal launches its E-Commerce website, blackopalbeauty.com